Each week, Unexpected Journey invites a top professional to share work wisdom and life lessons about their career and what they have learned about human experience in the workplace.
This week we are joined by Jennie Blumenthal, CEO Of Corporate Rehab and Author of “Corporate Rehab: Ditch the Hustle Culture and Thrive Again”.
In this episode we discuss:
- Burnout being a systemic issue in corporate culture when the pandemic actually just shone a big bright light on the issues of burnout that often we think are normal.
- The World Health Organization actually changed the definition of burnout in 2019. Before the pandemic, they recognized that there was an addition to the definition that needed to be added for chronic unmanaged workplace stress.
- Burnout is stress related but one can understand their biology in order to hack some of the responses when they are in this extreme stress. There are ways that you can actually retrain your brain, recognize body physiology, what’s happening when you’re in burnout, and shifting all of this in order to start thriving.
Jennie Blumenthal’s Bio
Jennie is the CEO of Corporate Rehab and Author of “Corporate Rehab: Ditch the Hustle Culture and Thrive Again” https://amzn.to/3Xeg6ag
After spending 20 years in Corporate America helping Fortune 500 companies manage multi-million dollar growth strategies, Jennie left her partnership in a global consulting firm to launch her own leadership company. In addition to her role as CEO, she also serves as a professional speaker, an Adjunct Professor in Strategy, a Board member, and the author of Corporate Rehab: Ditch the Hustle Culture and Thrive Again.
Her coaching and speaking business focuses on female executives looking to reach the next level of leadership without losing themselves in the process, and on companies interested in building human-centered cultures. She lives in Washington, DC with her husband, two kids, and puppy, and is trying to enjoy this chance to rewrite the next chapter of her career and life by running 10 milers, learning poetry, and joining an adult ice hockey league.
Noteworthy quotes from this episode
- “I want to really arm and empower women and men to understand their biology so that they can actually hack some of the responses when they are in that extreme stress. You can actually retrain your brain when you’re in burnout and shift that so that you can shift into thriving.”
- “The things that suffer are things like innovation because we get caught up in a stress response that really actually triggers this whole fight flight response we’ve all heard of. And we go right back to reacting in situations instead of being able to intentionally lead from a place that isn’t so reactive.”
Connect with Jennie Blumenthal
Instagram Work: https://www.instagram.com/corporaterehab/
TikTok Work: https://tiktok.com/@corporaterehab
Connect with Anne Bibb
Anne Bibb is the Founder and CEO of Remote Evolution, a consulting and advisory firm. Over the years, Anne and her company have helped create tens of thousands of jobs using impact sourcing. They have helped companies move to more than 30 countries, and assisted with remote change management, customer experience and employee experience improvement.
Personal LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/annebibb/
Company LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/remote-evolution/
Speaker Website: https://www.annebibb.com/
Consulting Website: https://www.remoteevolution.com/